18/06/2011

Haven't Updated in a Long Time

Thought I would first impart some exciting news; Yesterday I attended high school for the very last time. After exams I will go to graduation and this entire chapter of my life will be done. As a gift to myself, I bought a lot of books. Of these were a couple of books that appear to be a part of a series or a mandate or something; they're both 'Brief Histories' of Steam and Robin Hood, respectively. Looks like a lot of fun, and they were both cheap. They're probably the fast food of history books. :D


Hello, me writing more steampunk than is healthy

I also got the first volume of Neil Gaiman's Sandman, something I'd been promising myself to read for a long time. It is quite simply amazing. The stories are integrated with the DC Universe without the DC Universe completely subsuming the central idea of the series. And it's only the beginning, though the end is in sight. It's so nice to have a comic book series I can get some serious mileage out of without marrying it (I'm looking at you, Wallflower, Transmetropolitan...).


Sandman by Neil Gaiman. Genius

I was looking through the compendium of the Girl's Own Paper, a magazine directed at girls and 'typical' girls' activities that ran from the late 1800s to 1956. My compendium is from the year 1906. I did not notice previously, but there are a great deal of old recipes in there. Particularly alluring is an article on 'Sweetmeats from the Continent' written by a 'German Hausfrau'. I'm definitely trying out the Apple Cake.
The Girl's Own Annual, alongside other reading material.
What I'm listening to obsessively is the soundtrack to Danny Boyle's phenomenal stage production of Frankenstein, which starred Benedict Cumberbatch and Johnny Lee Miller. The music was by the prog-rock group called Underworld:

Still waiting for the DVD release that pleaseNTNationaltheatrei'llmovetolondonifyoureleasethisoneshow still isn't in the cards. D:

In other news, Benedict Cumberbatch has been cast as the voice of Smaug the dragon in The Hobbit! Hurray, his VOICE.

No comments:

Post a Comment