13/10/2011

New Involvement!

So university is treating me well, non-existent readers. I very much enjoy the new freedoms and challenges that I have, and I'm looking forward to the next few years. Something particularly wonderful about my university is that there are a LOT of drama companies and so countless opportunities to get involved. I have managed to get myself entangled in two projects.

One of them is a staged reading of a play that was put on specifically so first-years could have involvement in the drama community. It is called The Masque of Mr Punch, a little-known one-acter by Canadian playwright Robertson Davies. It's a satire of the theatre community in Toronto as well as a pastiche of the classic Punch and Judy puppet shows, which are rooted in the commedia dell'arte tradition. I play Harlequin, my favourite archetype of all time. It's going to be a one-night-only performance, and rehearsals are super-interesting.



The other project I'm involved with is a production of As You Like It. I'm doing props, which is a totally new experience for me. I hope to be useful and to have a splendid time.

Another great thing that's happening is that my drama course is largely theoretical. I love the amount of analysis I get to do. Right now I'm working on a production analysis of Jonathan Larson's RENT, and my drama lab is studying Bone Cage by Catherine Banks. I really feel involved and informed in this vibrant community.

Next week I will be watching a production of I, Claudia, which I don't know that much about save for the fact that puppets figure greatly. Hopefully I'll bring back a review of that, as well as the rest of the shows I saw at Stratford! I'll hopefully also have a review of The Phantom of the Opera, which I saw via cinema broadcast last week.

No comments:

Post a Comment