14/05/2011

Rainy Saturday

Went to the store and found ricotta cheese and grape leaves to make a cheesecake in the Ancient Roman style. The former comes in plastic tubs, like margarine or sour cream, the latter comes in a big glass canister like pickles. What a rich country I live in. Incidentally, the Ancient Romans would have used fresh bay leaves, but I've never seen a bay leaf that wasn't completely dehydrated, so grape leaves seemed the best substitution. I'll probably blog on how this recipe goes tomorrow, when I make it.

Watched Doctor Who. This episode was written by Neil Gaiman, and, wonderfully, it showed. I also detected some similarities to the works of Beckett, but I feel that this may have more to do with the fact that I'm taking a studies in literature class right now, and so cannot look at any media from after 1957 without seeing magic realism or existentialist motifs.

For that selfsame studies in literature class I must write a version of Fritz Lang's Metropolis in the style of Franz Kafka's stories, preferably The Bucket Rider, but I feel Metamorphosis is more appropriate.

Not to mention the ongoing essay on The Name Of The Rose, which turned into a bloody university thesis.
The Scriptorium is my thesis [insert evil half-crazed laugh]!!!


And now for lists.

List Of Things I Need To Read:
  • Northanger Abbey, by Jane Austen
  • The Short Stories of Jorge Luis Borges
  • House Of Leaves, by Mark Z. Danielewski
  • The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes, by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
  • The Name Of The Rose, by Umberto Eco
  • The Graveyard Book, by Neil Gaiman
  • One Hundred Years Of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
  • The Butcher Boy, by Patrick McCabe
  • The Pillowman, by Martin McDonagh
  • The Poems of Sophia Parnok
Things I Am In The Process Of Reading
  • The Name Of The Rose, by Umberto Eco
  • A Brief History Of Time, by Stephen Hawking
  • The Lieutenant Of Inishmore, by Martin McDonagh
  • Beowulf, with Seamus Heaney's brill translation.
  • Tartuffe, by Moliere. I can't find a very brill translation, at the moment, so I've taken to reading it in French.
I see maybe a slight imbalance in ratio. Er.

Have some Janelle Monáe, singing her song 'Metropolis'. I enjoy this artist because of her aesthetic, true, but unlike most artists who have a great look (I'm looking at YOU, j-rock bands), her music is actually excellent as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment