15/05/2011

Spring Has Sprung

All the depressing weather yesterday has paid off; today I woke up and looked out the window to find that the grass was green, the trees were bedecked with leaves, and the lilacs were blooming! My littlest brother was running around telling anybody who would listen about the purple flowers. My other brother was lying in bed and trying not to upchuck, like he has twice today already.

Working on a song I will be singing for a recital in June. It's very difficult for someone of my range and ability, but it's Handel, so some effort must be made. It's called 'Lascia ch'io pianga', from an opera called Rinaldo. Here is the wonderful Philippe Jaroussky singing said aria:

Rediscovered my ancient English-German dictionary (the dictionary is ancient, not the English). It's from 1949, and therefore it is distressingly diplomatic. According to a sticker in my book, it was also sold in Melbourne before it came to the second-hand bookstore I acquired it from. What stories these books want to tell.

The spine of the German-English, English-German Dictionary


The Australian booksellers' sticker. Angus & Robertson, I have your book.
 On the Ancient Roman cheesecake front, I executed the recipe with little fuss and put it in the oven looking like this:
It looks like it might actually bake!
The green leafy stuff you see around the edges are grape leaves, to line the spring pan and avoid leakage, which would have been a tragedy considering the amount of ricotta and honey that went into this recipe. When it is served, the grape leaves will be on top, making a crust. I'm not sure how that will taste. We'll see tomorrow.

When it came out of the oven, it looked like this:

Hey look at that! It baked!
Once again, will it be delicious? Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment